Saturday, February 7, 2009

My Favorite Place

This afternoon I was organizing papers (papers, papers, papers... my counter runneth over) and I found some writing from my son about his favorite places. He was supposed to use sensory detail to describe his favorite places... and along with home and vacation spots, he picked the Beyond Sports Taekwondo studio as a favorite place.

That makes me happy. I know he has come a long way since he first started as a Tiny Tiger. Master Sorenson would ask the kids what they were good at, what made them great, and he didn't want to answer. After a few months of class, though, he began to speak up about his accomplishments, and the many things that make him a great kid. He navigates his elementary school world with confidence, and I think a lot of that confidence comes because of taekwondo.

Now I watch him come home from class excited to have passed off one of his tapes. He showed us all his new form last week, delighted to have finally learned it. I love the way taekwondo reinforces his accomplishments--he gets to wear a belt that proclaims how hard he's worked--and also challenges him to do more.

The studio is indeed a great place. Now with the expanded room (and the excellent babysitting area for the womens class!!) it's even better, of course. I'm glad it ranks in my son's list of favorite places; it's on my list, too.

No comments: