Saturday, November 8, 2008

Sweet Mystery of Life


So, what’s the deal with high fructose corn syrup? After reading this column by Orson Scott Card, who refuses to buy products that contain HFCS, I decided to read some labels at the grocery store. To my great disgruntlement, my kids’ favorite brand of yogurt is laden with said corn syrup. So is my favorite brand of raisin bran.

I have warm fuzzy feelings toward raisin bran. It’s what made my last major diet succeed (forty pounds lost after baby #2): a nice filling bowl of raisin bran every morning. It’s fast, it’s filling, it’s fiber. Apparently it is fructose as well. I thought I was eating healthy, but noooo. Same with the yogurt. I feel grumpy and disillusioned. Why can’t yogurt and raisin bran be health foods, since they are clearly marketed as such? Where else is that HFCS lurking? Do I really have to read every stinkin’ label to find out where the corn syrup lurks, waiting to sabotage my diet?

Apparently so. In the mean time, I am going to have cracked wheat for breakfast tomorrow. Cracked wheat: the new (old) raisin bran, complete without high fructose corn syrup!

--Emily M.

No comments: